by Jason Zarin
As a recent transplant to Virginia and new member of VALL, I
was very fortunate to receive a grant this year to attend the AALL annual
meeting in Chicago. The reference librarians at the University of Richmond Law
School are reevaluating the way legal research has been taught over the last
few years and are investigating ways to improve the course taught to first-year
law students. Accordingly, this year’s theme “Make It New: Create the Future” was
particularly apropos.
I had the opportunity to attend two presentations that were
exceedingly useful on the topic of improving legal research education: “Leave
treasure hunts to pirates: creating experiential research courses” and “How Are
We Doing?: Using Outcomes Assessment to Improve Legal Research Instruction.”
“Pirates” focused on the ABA standards requiring students to
take six credits of “experiential learning” and how to incorporate these
requirements into legal research instruction. The presenters recommended making
students’ final legal research project be the research for a legal memo
presented as a research log. The attached picture is their suggested grading
rubric for the log, which required the students to identify and use relevant
secondary sources and find the leading state cases, statutes, and journal
articles.
How do we know if our students are actually learning was
the theme of “Legal research course assessment.” A few years ago, the University
of Florida changed its legal writing course to make first-year legal research
a separate stand-alone class taught and run by the law librarians. In order to
determine success and shape the course for future years, UF makes regular
assessments: (1) Are we teaching the right things? (2) Are students learning
and retaining the information? (3) Can students apply what they’ve learned? UF
sends a short survey to returning second-year students on whether they felt
adequately prepared and confident for the research work they did during the
summer. They also survey employers as to their own evaluation of these summer
associates’ research skills.
I also had the opportunity to present at the Cool Tools Cafe
on using Clio (a law firm practice management tool) to manage research
assistants, assign them tasks, and track their time. I also attended the
advocacy workshop and worked as a mentor to a first-time conference attendee.
Overall, the 2016 annual meeting was one of the more
valuable AALL conferences I have attended in terms of interesting and useful
programming. I returned from the conference abuzz with new ideas and directions
for our legal research instruction. I am very grateful for the financial
support VALL was able to provide me to attend the meeting.

No comments:
Post a Comment